Visitor Number

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Interview With A Gypsy

At the eastern reach of the realm there is a carnival. Among the merchants selling their wares, and the entertainers distracting one from one's purse, there lay a caravan of those who keep the old ways. From within their ranks, I notice a troupe of dancers and crafters. They go by the theatrical name of “The Gypsy Assassins”, and I was granted audience with Dima, a voluptuous temptress, and everything you would expect a young gypsy woman to be. The following transcript is the brief interview I was allowed before she had to go steal the breath of the next audience.


      How long have you been bellydancing?
    I myself have been bellydancing for about 9 years now. Sabrina has been at it for over 14, and Sophie for 3 1/5 so we have a very wide range as far as experience.

    Indeed! 
    When did your troupe form?
    It was actually never a defined moment, more like it grew out of necessity. Sabrina would call on us whenever she needed dancers. We started getting together to create costumes too, and we got along as friends in general. The three of us are all big dorks, dancers, and crafters and pretty soon we formed this very silly, crafty, jingly triumvirate and things just fell into place. In the last year or so is when it really started coming together naturally.    

    'Seems to be how things work out best.
    The costuming is simply delightful, is it custom work?
    We do custom work upon request, but we're trying to also create set costume items as well. We want to make items that are unique and functional but different from what is out there. It's good to have set items to give people an idea of what you can do. That's why we started naming our items things like "Sabrina's Bane" or "Death by Chiffon" to give them a unique character. Actually naming things is half the fun for us. When you create something you get to know it and it has it's own personality and story. So the first time we make a costume item it kind of creates it's own name in the process. From there people can choose to either buy it as is, or customize it to their needs with different colors, fabrics and sizes. We're working on standardizing designs and fabrics now, but in the meantime we can still do this for people as needed. We get a lot of requests for custom sizing which is great! The three of us have very different shapes and we know what it's like having to try to fit petite, busty and plus size! Dancers, like all women, come in all shapes and sizes!


    Wonderful, wonderful! Men certainly love crafty women.
    Now, you're a gypsy troupe, so do you travel?
    We do! We travel as the three of us, or sometimes we tag along with The Neville Campanye or Corr Thieves two groups which we are honorary members of. It's easy to find travel buddies when you're a troupe of dancing gypsy gals! Eventually we want to have our own caravan and we're working on either building or buying a vardo (gypsy wagon) for traveling and sleeping in and a gypsy tent for lounging while camped. This year we plan to do a lot of traveling to any and every Medieval/Renaissance Faire we can attend and really get out there and meet new people, promote, and have fun!  

    And to date, what has been your best show?
    Our favorite event which we look forward to year round is hands down the New Hampshire Renaissance Faire NHRF in Kingston, NH. We typically dance twice a day and teach Bellydance 101 at this two weekend long event and we have so much fun! Between sets we spend a lot of time playing tricks on others (Specially the Neville and Corr Thieves guys) and causing general mischief. For example, we have no idea how the Neville camp was invaded by pink flamingos overnight. Not a clue. Wasn't us! We've also become rather infamous for creating the "NHRF Men of the Renaissance Calendar" which we sold at auction this year. I've never seen so many terrified men in armor as when we pulled that calendar out! I have the calendar pictures and quotes on my Facebook page for all to see! The first year I did NHRF (I've been there every year since it began) I played a minor role as a gypsy enchantress and was tasked with hypnotising a 6 1/5 foot tall pirate named Maavus from the Corr Thieves group. He became one of my best friends and I've made many friendships at NHRF since then. This year was particularly epic for me, because of a long standing rival I have had with Garreth The Rogue from the Corr Thieves. Every year at the Wench and Lad auction we compete against each other to go for the highest bid. This year we made a bet that if I won he had to give me a scimitar with a custom sheath he had made. If he won I had to give him a kiss. I slaughtered him like I do ever year, but when I took my prize (the sword) I took the kiss too. The crowd loved it! We want to continue work between our group and the Corr Thieves guys (check out the videos on their website, they are awesome!)    

    Enchanting! I imagine the rogue will not soon forget that encounter.
    What is your favorite part about performing?
    For me, I enjoy sharing my love of dance and the music. Middle Eastern music is very foreign to most people and hard for them to feel and understand. I like to think that my dancing helps them to interpret and appreciate it. We also have a lot of fun interacting with the crowd by dancing with the pirates, mesmerizing small children, and embarrassing our friends. Whatever gets people to smile and take photos that will give them fond memories! When someone in the crowd smiles and says something like "Thank you" or "Beautiful!" it makes me so happy!    

    You're a lovely lass, inquiring fans want to know...
    Yes, they are real!    

    Haha! Indeed!
    Okay, I want to know personally, is bellydancing really a good workout?
    Yes! We work a lot of muscles that just aren't used often in everyday life or repetitive exercise movements. The isolations required for bellydancing teach you to learn to contract specific muscles and muscle groups which helps with body awareness and core strength. We work a lot on posture and that helps in preventing injury and overall confidence. Arms get a work out from being held up and moves like snake arms. Legs take a surprising beating from holding you up while doing the movements. We keep knees bent 99% of the time, which requires the legs to work harder while allowing more freedom of movement. Movements can be sinuous and circular or sharp which uses the muscles in very unique ways. And of course the stomach area is worked, but not always in the way people expect. The abs are used for certain belly movements like belly rolls, but also for overall corr strength. We contract in the abs to add stability to things like backbends. Overall it's great for posture, body awareness, core strength and coordination but you would have to do a LOT of bellydancing to use it as a sole means of weight loss or overall fitness. Like any other dance form cross training is important.    

    ...and my physical culture courses are exactly what they should use!
    So, how has performing in a troupe changed your lifestyle?
    I personally have been in two dance groups in my time as a dancer so far. I began in Lotus Moon when I was newer to dancing. It was excellent for me because the regular practices and support of a group of fellow dancers helped me immensely in improving quickly. It was also a great creative outlet to try new things. It took a lot of time and sometimes it was stressful, but overall very much worth it. When the other ladies all moved away I started working more on myself as a soloist. With the Gypsy Assassins we don't do a lot of choreography so I still do a lot of solo dancing or we dance together but unchoreographed. So we get to work a lot on our own style while still having the support of the group. It's also great for me because I tend to befriend males more than females due to my interests, but in dancing I get along with the other women really well so it's a chance for me to form friendships with other women.    

    Is there anything else you would like to add?
    Sure! We are planning to go to a lot of the local renaissance faires this year if anyone out there wants to meet us. Next up is Winslowshire June 25th and 26th we will be camping out with the Neville guys. Friend us (The GypsyAssassins) on Facebook to keep in touch! We're always looking for fellow rennies to connect with. On June 18th we performed at a post apocalypse LARP for ATF Roleplay in Spencer, MA. I'm going to be adding video from the event on our Facebook page as soon as I get a chance. And of course thanks for the interview, it's been fun!

          It certainly has been a treat. I look forward to meeting again, and in the meantime I bid you farewell.

                                                       

Well, my friends, if you would like to know more about The Gypsy Assassins, head on over to their facebook page, check out their blog, and stop by their Etsy shop for some beautiful handmade garments and accessories! If you happen to be on the east coast, and want to learn how to dance, please stop by Lotus Fire Studios in Rollinsford, NH. Until next time, good journey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment