Visitor Number

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Genius of Holmes

Sherlock Holmes was written as an incredibly brilliant observer, and a very flawed human.  As a habitual drug user, and prone to depression; inept in all manner of emotional interaction he was also stunning in the art of deduction.  It is that very deductive reasoning I'd like to talk to you about today.

I am no Holmes.  I am not quick witted, and I do not pick up on the minutiae that makes for legendary discoveries.  However, I find that I am quite adept at discerning a great many truths out of very little information, and that is a skill I would challenge anyone to hone.  It has served me well, this deductive reasoning.  While it takes me some time to examine the given facts to discern the mysteries that escape most,  I am finding that for others, this path of reasoning does not even enter into the realm of possibilities.

Socrates once said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."  And though he was speaking philosophically, I have to agree on that level and more.  I feel it applies to general logic and life skills.  Blindly blundering through day to day tasks, giving no thought to how things works, or why, leaves you stranded in the face of critical failure. 

Perhaps it is unnecessary to know all the different species of tobacco, or regional soil composition, but to have a basic understanding of how the physical, chemical, and biological world works will allow you to understand so much more than just high school science.  This analysis has led me to greater understanding of martial arts, technology, fitness, and even culture.  I am by no means the ideal of anything, but it is my goal, and I believe I have chosen the right path.

Sherlock Holmes was a renaissance man in his own right.  He understood combat, deduction, crime and social pathology, music, and a few other miscellaneous things.  He had a good life (for a fictional character), despite vices, and he lived how he wanted, and according to his beliefs.  He stripped away all the unnecessary things according to those very beliefs, and fulfilled a great many notable achievements.

By the way, if you haven't read any of the stories, I suggest you do,  They're quite enthralling.  Oh, and if you're not familiar with turn-of-the-century parlance, you may want to read with a dictionary beside you.  I promise you'll be inspired to greater things.  Good journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment